Believe it or not there are more than one type of flag pole. You could have a vertical flag pole (which is of course the most common and the flag pole that everyone knows) but you can also have an angled flag pole (normally either a 45 degree or 35 degree flag pole) and you can even have a horizontal flag pole. Once you have chosen you style of flag pole you then need to think a little about the flag pole itself. Most now are fibre glass flag poles but you can also have them in aluminium or the more traditional wooden flag pole.
Once you have chosen your flag pole you need to have it installed. That’s the simple bit as you just contact Piggotts Flags & Branding Ltd and we will carry out a professional flag pole installation in either your commercial or residential property. After all we have been doing it for over 200 years! Most vertical flag pole installations follow the procedure below:
- Flagpole to be removed from vehicle
- Suitable hole to be excavated as per specification sheet
- Hole to be filled with suitable concrete
- Triangular base plate to be fitted to 3 x galvanised lengths of studding using necessary nuts and washers
- Base plate with fittings to be pushed into cement and positioned so hinge pin position is facing furthest away from any obstructions
- Fixings will then be allowed to set
- After fixings have set, gold coloured finial, halyard rope and cleat are to be fitted to flagpole
- Flagpole to be then positioned at hinge and fitted with hinge pin and nut
- Flagpole to then be pushed up to vertical level by 2 operatives and have nuts and washers fitted
- Adjustment to upright position is to be made by using top full nut and lower half nut under lower base plate
Before you have your flag pole installed however, you do need to think about the area that it is going into. The foundations that are required for the safe installation of your vertical flag pole differ depending on the size of the flag pole that you want installed. You also need to consider and check to see if you require planning permission for your flag pole installation.
The below is a guide to the required foundations for our various sizes of flag poles:
- 4 metre vertical flagpole foundation is around size 300 mm x 300 mm x 500 mm depth.
- 5 metre vertical flagpole foundation is around size 350 mm x 350 mm x 600 mm depth.
- 6 metre vertical flagpole foundation is around size 400 mm x 400 mm x 650 mm depth.
- 7 metre vertical flagpole foundation is around size 450 mm x 450 mm x 700 mm depth.
- 8 metre vertical flagpole foundation is around size 500 mm x 500 mm x 750 mm depth.
- 9 metre vertical flagpole foundation is around size 550 mm x 550 mm x 800 mm depth.
- 10 metre vertical flagpole foundation is around size 600 mm x 600 mm x 900 mm depth.
- 11 metre vertical flagpole foundation is around size 650 mm x 650 mm x 950 mm depth.
- 12 metre vertical flagpole foundation is around size 700 mm x 700 mm x 1000 mm depth.
- ANYTHING OVER 12 METRES PLEASE CONTACT US DIRECTLY.
Once you have your vertical, angled or horizontal flag pole installed by a professional installation company, erm cough, Piggotts Flags and Branding Ltd, you need to ensure that it’s maintained. There are regulations that you as the owner of the flag pole are required to adhere by
- The Health & Safety Work Act Requires:
- “Maintenance of it in a condition that is safe and without risks to health”
- Building Regulations Requires:
- “The inspection and maintenance of any services, fittings or equipment so provided”
- Town & Country Planning regulations require:
- “The advertisement must not endanger any person” and “Any structure or hoarding used must be maintained in a safe condition”
Piggotts Flags & Branding Ltd offer’s an annual safety inspection and maintenance service on all flag poles. Our flag pole safety inspections are designed with the above regulations specifically in mind. We provide a written safety inspection report on all flag pole inspections that we do and we normally recommend that these are done yearly and your reports are kept.
Our flag poles come with a 10 year lifetime guarantee but we still recommend that a safety inspection of your flag pole is done once per year. It doesn’t have to be done by us (we, in turn, carry out safety inspections on flag poles we have not installed) but it is advisable to ensure that this is done.
We carry out all nominal repairs during the safety inspections and will replace halyards and ensure that the pole and its fixings are in good working order. Should anything else be required we will advise you of this and a price to be able to fully carry out the repair.
Think of it as an MOT for your brand!
Should you wish to have a flag pole installation please contact us and we will arrange the whole thing for you with peace of mind and a great price.